Windies vs England 2019, 4th ODI – Statistical Highlights
England has taken the 2-1 lead in the five-match ODI series against the host side Windies after winning the thrilling fourth ODI at St George’s.
After winning the toss, the host side decided to field first. England scored 418/6 in 50 overs while Windies managed to score 389 (48 overs) before getting all out. England won the match by 29 runs.
Brief Score: England – 418/6 in 50 overs (Jos Buttler 150, Eoin Morgan 103; Carlos Brathwaite 2/69)
Windies – 389 in 48 overs (Chris Gayle 162, Darren Bravo 61; Adil Rashid 5/85)
Result – England won by 29 runs
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) English captain Eoin Morgan scored his second ODI century on the Caribbean soil.
- Eoin Morgan is the third captain to score more than one ODI century on the Caribbean soil. Brian Lara (West Indies) and Virat Kohli (India) are the other captains who have also hit two ODI centuries on the Caribbean soil.
ii) English captain Eoin Morgan scored 103 runs.
- It was the third time when an English skipper scored an ODI century in West Indies. Earlier, Eoin Morgan also hit another century (107 against West Indies at North Sound on 3 March 2017) while Andrew Strauss was the first English captain to achieve this feat (105 against West Indies at Providence on 22 March 2009).
iii) By the end of this match, Eoin Morgan has scored 6,051 runs.
- Eoin Morgan is the first English batsman to score 6,000 ODI runs. Ian Bell is in the closest of this record with 5,416 ODI runs.
Eoin Morgan-Jos Buttler partnership
i) English batsmen Eoin Morgan and Jos Buttler had 204-runs partnership for the fourth wicket.
- It was the second highest ODI partnership for any wicket against Windies on the Caribbean soil. The record is the 207-run partnership between Tamim Iqbal and Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh) at Providence on 22 July 2018.
- It was the third highest ODI partnership for England in the away games (home of opposition only; excluding neutral venues).
|Partners||Partnership runs||For the wicket||Opposition||Venue||Date|
|Eoin Morgan & Ravi Bopara||226*||5th||Ireland||Dublin (Malahide)||3 September 2013|
|Jason Roy & Joe Root||221||3rd||Australia||Melbourne||14 January 2018|
|Eoin Morgan & Jos Buttler||204||4th||Windies||St George’s||27 February 2019|
- It was the third highest ODI partnership for England against Windies.
|Partners||Partnership runs||For the wicket||Venue||Date|
|Andrew Strauss & Andrew Flintoff||226||4th||Lord’s||6 July 2004|
|Neil Fairbrother & Graeme Hick||213||3rd||Lord’s||27 May 1991|
|Eoin Morgan & Jos Buttler||204||4th||St George’s||27 February 2019|
i) English wicketkeeper-batsman Jos Buttler scored 150 runs.
- It is the highest individual ODI score by a wicketkeeper-batsman outside the home soil. The previous record was 149 by Adam Gilchrist (Australia) against Sri Lanka at Bridgetown on 28 April 2007.
- It is the highest individual ODI score by an English wicketkeeper-batsman. The previous record was 129 by Jos Buttler against New Zealand at Birmingham on 9 June 2015.
- It is the highest individual ODI score by an English batsman against Windies. Their previous record was 141* by Jonny Bairstow at Southampton on 29 September 2017.
- It is the second highest ODI individual score by a visiting batsman against the host side Windies. The record is 158 by Matthew Hayden (Australia) at North Sound on 27 March 2007.
ii) Jos Buttler hit 12 sixes during his innings.
- He is the first English batsman to hit 10 or more sixes in an ODI innings. The previous record was eight sixes which were hit by Jos Buttler and Moeen Ali once each.
- It was the second most number of sixes for a wicketkeeper-batsman in an ODI innings. The record is 16 sixes for AB de Villiers (South Africa) against West Indies at Johannesburg on 18 January 2015.
i) England scored 418 runs in 50 overs.
- It is the highest ODI total on the Caribbean soil. The previous record was 413/5 (50 overs) by India against Bermuda at Port of Spain on 19 March 2007.
- It is the joint second highest ODI total for any team against Windies (418/5 by India at Indore on 8 December 2011). The record is 439/2 by South Africa at Johannesburg on 18 January 2015.
- It is the third highest ODI total for England. Their top two records are 481/6 (50 overs) against Australia at Nottingham on 19 June 2018 and 444/3 (50 overs) against Pakistan at Nottingham on 30 August 2016.
ii) England hit 24 sixes in their innings.
- It is the most number of sixes for a team in an ODI innings. The previous record was 23 sixes by Windies against England at Bridgetown on 20 February 2019.
i) Windies batsman Chris Gayle (10,074 runs) completed his 10,000 ODI runs.
- Chris Gayle is the second Windies cricketer to score 10,000 or more ODI runs. Brian Lara (10,348 runs) was the first West Indies/Windies cricketer to achieve this feat.
- Chris Gayle became the 14th cricketer to score 10,000 or more ODI runs.
ii) Chris Gayle completed his century in 55 balls.
- It was the second fastest ODI century by a Windies batsman. The record is the 45-ball ODI century by Brian Lara against Bangladesh at Dhaka on 9 October 1999.
iii) Chris Gayle scored 162 runs.
- It was the second highest individual ODI score by a Windies batsman on the home soil. The record is 169 by Denesh Ramdin against Bangladesh at Basseterre on 25 August 2014.
- It was the second highest individual ODI score by a batsman against England in the second innings of a match. The record is 181* by Ross Taylor (New Zealand) at Dunedin 7 March 2018.
- It was the third highest individual ODI score by a Windies batsman against England. The top two in this list are 189* by Sir Viv Richards (at Manchester on 31 May 1984) and 176* by Evin Lewis (at The Oval on 27 September 2017).
iv) Chris Gayle hit 14 sixes in that innings.
- It was the second most number of sixes for a Windies batsman in an ODI innings. The record is 16 sixes by Chris Gayle against Zimbabwe at Canberra on 24 February 2015.
- It was the joint third most number of sixes for a batsman in an ODI innings.
v) By the end of this match, Chris Gayle has hit 506 sixes in his international career.
- Chris Gayle is the first cricketer to hit 500+ sixes in the international cricket.
vi) By the end of this match, Chris Gayle has hit 305 ODI sixes.
- Chris Gayle is only the second cricketer to hit 300+ ODI sixes. Shahid Afridi (351 ODI sixes) was the first cricketer to achieve this feat.
i) English leg-spinner Adil Rashid had the bowling figures of 10-0-85-5.
- Among the bowlers who have picked up five or more wickets in an ODI innings, it is the most expensive bowling figures. The previous record was 10-0-73-5 by Gordon Goudie (Scotland) against Australia at Edinburgh on 28 August 2009.
- It is the best bowling figures by an English spinner against Windies. The previous record was 10-0-37-4 by John Emburey at Adelaide on 24 January 1987.
i) Windies scored 389 runs in the second innings of the match.
- It is the highest ODI total for Windies. Their previous record was 372/2 (50 overs) against Zimbabwe at Canberra on 24 February 2015.
- It was the third highest ODI total in the second innings of a match. The top two records are 438/9 (49.5 overs) by South Africa against Australia at Johannesburg on 12 March 2006 and 411/8 (50 overs) by Sri Lanka against India at Rajkot on 15 December 2009.
ii) Windies hit 22 sixes in this match.
- It is the most number of sixes for a team in the second batting of an ODI innings. The previous record was 19 sixes which were hit by Australia against India at Bengaluru on 2 November 2013.
England Announces 13-Member Strong Test Squad For The Ireland Match
Ahead of the 2019 Ashes series, England will play an only four-day home Test match against Ireland. On Wednesday (17th…
Ravi Shastri Might Retain His Head Coach Role – BCCI Official
It seems like Ravi Shastri set to continue in his Head coach role for the Indian National Cricket Team despite…