ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 (Match 30): Pakistan vs South Africa – Statistical Highlights
Pakistan claimed a comfortable 49-run victory against South Africa on Sunday (23rd June) at Lord’s (London) during the 30th game in the ongoing 2019 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.
After winning the toss, Pakistan scored 308/7 (50 overs) in the first innings. Chasing down that target, South Africa managed to score 259/9 (50 overs).
Brief Scores: Pakistan – 308/7 in 50 overs (Haris Sohail 89, Babar Azam 69; Lungi Ngidi 3/64)
South Africa – 259/9 in 50 overs (Faf du Plessis 63, Quinton de Kock 47; Wahab Riaz 3/46)
Result – Pakistan won by 49 runs
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) In the first innings, Pakistan scored 308/7 (50 overs).
- It is the highest total for Pakistan against South Africa in Cricket World Cup history. The previous record was 242/6 (50 overs) at Karachi on 29th February 1996.
- It is the highest ODI total for Pakistan against South Africa at the neutral venues. Their previous record was 289/9 (49.5 overs) at Abu Dhabi on 31st October 2010.
i) With this defeat, South Africa’s last hope to qualify for the semi-finals in this Cricket World Cup has been washed out.
- It is the only second time when South Africa will not play a knockout match in ICC Cricket World Cup. Their first such incident happened in 2003 ICC Cricket World Cup when they were eliminated from the Group Stages.
i) By the end of this match, South African leg-spinner Imran Tahir has taken 39 wickets in Cricket World Cup.
- Imran Tahir is the most wicket-taker for South Africa in Cricket World Cup history. During this match, he surpassed Allan Donald’s 38 CWC wickets record.
- Imran Tahir is now the eighth most wicket-taker in Cricket World Cup history.
ii) Imran Tahir has taken 17 ODI wickets against Pakistan.
- It is the joint most ODI wickets for a South African spinner against Pakistan. During this match, Tahir equalled the record of the former South African left-arm spinner Robin Peterson’s 17 ODI wickets against Pakistan.
Faf du Plessis
i) South African captain Faf du Plessis scored 63 runs.
- It is the second highest individual score by a South African captain against Pakistan in Cricket World Cup history. The record is 77 by AB de Villiers at Auckland on 7th March 2015.
i) Pakistan leg-spinner Shadab Khan has taken 52 wickets in ODI career.
- Shadab Khan is the 11th Pakistan spinner to claim 50+ wickets in ODI career.
i) The left-arm pacer Wahab Riaz has taken 32 wickets in Cricket World Cup.
- As a Pakistan bowler, Wahab Riaz is the third most wicket-taker in Cricket World Cup. The top two record holders in this list are Wasim Akram and Imran Khan with 55 and 34 CWC wickets respectively.
Bowling With Masks Would Be Uncomfortable: Ajit Agarkar
Just a week ago, International Cricket Council (ICC) had recommended a host of “back to cricket” guidelines including 14-day pre-match isolation training camps to ensure that teams are free and safe from the coronavirus pandemic. The apex cricket body issued training and playing guidelines which…
Shehan Madushanka Suspended From All Forms Of Cricket For Alleged Possession Of Illegal Drugs
Sri Lanka fast bowler Shehan Madushanka has been apprehended by the police for alleged possession of drugs on Monday, May 25. Sri Lanka police official told news agency AFP that the cricketer was in possession of two grams of heroin when he was caught red-handed…