ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 (Match 8): India vs South Africa – Statistical Highlights
India has started its campaign in the 2019 ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup with a solid victory against South Africa at The Rose Bowl (Southampton) on Wednesday (5th June).
In that eighth game of this tournament, South African captain Faf du Plessis decided to bat first. However, South Africa struggled in that entire first innings as they only managed to score 227/9 in 50 overs.
In reply, India comfortably chased down that target in 47.3 overs after losing four wickets. India won this match by six wickets with 15 balls to spare.
Brief Scores: South Africa – 227/9 in 50 overs (Chris Morris 42, Faf du Plessis 38; Yuzvendra Chahal 4/51)
India – 230/4 in 47.3 overs (Rohit Sharma 122*, MS Dhoni 34; Kagiso Rabada 2/39)
Result – India won by six wickets
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) India successfully chased down the 228 runs target (230/4 in 47.3 overs).
- It is the highest successful chase for India in a Cricket World Cup match on the English soil. Their previous record was successfully chasing the 214 runs target (217/4 in 54.4 overs) against England at Manchester on 22nd June 1983.
i) Indian wicketkeeper-batsman MS Dhoni played this match at the age of 37 years and 333 days.
- MS Dhoni is the oldest Indian wicketkeeper-batsman to play a Cricket World Cup match. The previous record holder was Farokh Engineer who last played a CWC Match at the age of 37 years and 109 days.
ii) Indian cricketer MS Dhoni has scored 6,009 ODI runs outside the Indian soil.
- MS Dhoni becomes the sixth Indian batsman to score 6,000 ODI runs outside the Indian soil.
iii) Wicketkeeper-batsman MS Dhoni has scored 17,027 runs in the international career.
- After Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka), MS Dhoni is the second wicketkeeper-batsman to score 17,000+ international runs. Former Sri Lankan cricketer Kumar Sangakkara scored 17,840 international runs as a wicketkeeper-batsman.
Chris Morris and Kagiso Rabada
- It is the second highest eighth wicket partnership for South Africa in a Cricket World Cup match. Their record is 67 runs partnership between Nicky Boje and Lance Klusener against West Indies at Cape Town on 9th February 2003.
i) The Indian leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal had the bowling figures of 10-0-51-4.
- It is the best bowling figures by an Indian spinner against a Full Member side in a Cricket World Cup match. The previous best was 5.1-0-26-3 by Ravi Shastri against West Indies at Manchester on 9th June 1983.
- It is the second best bowling figures by an Indian bowler on the Cricket World Cup debut. The record holder is the Indian pacer Mohammed Shami with the bowling figures of 9-1-35-4 (against Pakistan at Adelaide on 15th February 2015).
i) Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma has scored 5,033 ODI runs outside India.
- Rohit Sharma is the ninth Indian batsman to score 5,000+ ODI runs outside the Indian soil.
ii) Rohit Sharma hit his 23rd ODI century during this match.
- With this century, Rohit Sharma becomes India’s third most ODI century scorer. In this list, Rohit Sharma is only behind Sachin Tendulkar (49 centuries) and Virat Kohli (41 centuries).
iii) Rohit Sharma scored an unbeaten 122-run in this successful chase.
- It is the second highest individual score by an Indian batsman against South Africa in a Cricket World Cup match. The record is 137 by Shikhar Dhawan at Melbourne on 22nd February 2015.
iv) By the end of this match, Rohit Sharma has scored 12,048 runs in the international career.
- Rohit Sharma is the ninth Indian cricketer to score 12,000+ international runs.
Kolkata Knight Riders Release Vice-Captain Robin Uthappa, Nine Others Ahead Of IPL 2020 auction
Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) have released as many as 10 players ahead of the IPL 2020 auction. The list of released players also includes vice-captain Robin Uthappa, opener Chris Lynn, senior spinner Piyush Chawla and Carlos Brathwaite. Apart from them, the team has released Anrich…
Martin Guptill, Shakib Al Hasan Among Five Players Released By Sunrisers Hyderabad
Sunrisers have released their opener Martin Guptill, Shakib Al Hasan, Ricky Bhui, Deepak Hooda and Yusuf Pathan ahead of IPL 2020 auction, the franchise announced on Friday. The rest of the player were retained by the franchise. Guptill, New Zealand’s white-ball specialist, was bought by…