On Sunday (12th May) night, Mumbai Indians (MI) created history by winning their fourth IPL trophy after beating the defending champions Chennai Super Kings (CSK) in the thrilling final of IPL 2019 at Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium (Uppal, Hyderabad). Here we are with some statistical highlights of this match.
After the MI captain Rohit Sharma decided to bat first, his team managed to score 149/8 (20 overs). In reply, the defending champions CSK scored 148/7 (20 overs) as MI won this match by just one run.
Brief Scores: MI – 149/8 in 20 overs (Kieron Pollard 41*, Quinton de Kock 29; Deepak Chahar 3/26)
CSK – 148/7 in 20 overs (Shane Watson 80, Faf du Plessis 26; Jasprit Bumrah 2/14)
Result – MI won by one run
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) MI won the IPL 2019 final by just one run.
- It is the second time when a team won an IPL final by just one run. In IPL 2017 final, MI beat now-defunct Rising Pune Supergiant (RPS) by just one run.
ii) MI won the IPL trophy for the fourth time. Previously, they won this trophy in 2013, 2015 and 2017.
- MI is the first team to win four IPL trophies. CSK is in the second position with three IPL trophies.
i) CSK lost this match by only one run.
- It was the first time when CSK failed to chase a target in a tournament final. Before this match, CSK successfully chased the targets in three tournament finals (one in IPL and two in Champions League T20).
Quinton de Kock
i) MI cricketer Quinton de Kock scored 529 runs in IPL 2019.
- South African batsman Quinton de Kock is the second most run-scorer as an MI overseas batsman in an IPL season. While he surpassed the former Sri Lankan opener Sanath Jayasuriya (514 runs in IPL 2008), only West Indies cricketer Lendl Simmons (540 runs in IPL 2015) remains ahead of him in this list.
- It is the fifth most runs for an MI batsman in an IPL season.
i) The right-handed batsman Rohit Sharma has scored 4,001 T20 runs for MI.
- Rohit Sharma is the first batsman to score 4,000+ T20 runs for MI.
ii) As a captain, Rohit Sharma won four IPL trophies (all for MI).
- Rohit Sharma is the first IPL captain to win four IPL trophies. MS Dhoni is in the next position with three IPL trophies (all for CSK).
iii) Rohit Sharma has involved with five IPL trophy victories (one for Deccan Chargers and four for MI).
- Rohit Sharma is the first player to involve in five IPL trophy victories.
i) Wicketkeeper MS Dhoni has made 132 dismissals (94 catches and 38 stumpings) in IPL career.
- It is the most dismissals for a wicketkeeper in IPL history. MS Dhoni broke the record of Dinesh Karthik’s 131 IPL dismissals as a wicketkeeper (101 catches and 30 stumpings).
i) CSK leg-spinner Imran Tahir picked up 26 wickets in IPL 2019
- Imran Tahir is the most wicket-taking spinner in an IPL season. During this match, he surpassed the previous records of Sunil Narine (24 wickets for Kolkata Knight Riders in IPL 2012) and Harbhajan Singh (24 wickets for Mumbai Indians in IPL 2013).
i) CSK opener Shane Watson scored 80 runs.
- It is the second highest individual score by a right-handed batsman during the match between MI and CSK. The record is 87 runs by Rohit Sharma (MI) at Mumbai on 22nd April 2011.