On Saturday (17th October) evening, Delhi Capitals (DC) reached the top spot in the IPL 2020 points table after beating Chennai Super Kings (CSK) at Sharjah Cricket Stadium (Sharjah).
CSK captain MS Dhoni won the toss and decided to bat first. At the end of the first innings, CSK scored 179/4 (20 overs). In reply, Delhi Capitals chased down that target in 19.5 overs after losing five wickets.
Brief Scores: CSK – 179/4 in 20 overs (Faf du Plessis 58, Ambati Rayudu 45; Anrich Nortje 2/44)
DC – 185/5 in 19.5 overs (Shikhar Dhawan 101*, Marcus Stoinis 24; Deepak Chahar 2/18)
The Result – DC won by five wickets
IPL 2020, Match 34: Delhi Capitals vs Chennai Super Kings (DC vs CSK) – Statistical Highlights
Delhi Capitals (DC) – 1st time beat CSK twice in the same season
i) In this IPL season, Delhi Capitals won both the matches against CSK.
- It was the first time when Delhi Capitals beat CSK more than once in the same calendar year.
Delhi Capitals (DC)
Kagiso Rabada – fastest 50 IPL wickets
i) Playing his 27th IPL match, Kagiso Rabada completed his 50 IPL wickets.
- Kagiso Rabada is the fastest bowler to complete 50 IPL wickets. The previous record-holder was Sunil Narine who completed that feat in 32 IPL matches.
- Kagiso Rabada became the second Delhi Capitals bowler to pick up 50 IPL wickets. Leg-spinner Amit Mishra was the first bowler to achieve this feat for his team as he has taken 100 IPL wickets for this team.
- Kagiso Rabada became the third Delhi Capitals bowler to claim 50 T20 wickets. Their other two bowlers are Amit Mishra (104 wickets) and Morne Morkel (51 wickets).
Shikhar Dhawan – centurion
i) Opener Shikhar Dhawan scored 101 not out.
- It was the third century in the IPL 2020. The first two centuries in this IPL season were 132 not out by KL Rahul (Kings XI Punjab) against Royal Challengers Bangalore (at Dubai, DSC on 24th September 2020) and 106 by Mayank Agarwal (Kings XI Punjab) against Rajasthan Royals (at Sharjah on 27th September 2020).
- It was the second century by a Delhi Capitals batsman against Chennai Super Kings. Their other century was 105* by AB de Villiers at Durban on 23rd April 2009.
Chennai Super Kings (CSK)
Faf du Plessis – best overseas batsman
i) South African cricketer Faf du Plessis has scored 2215 T20 runs for CSK.
- Faf du Plessis is the most T20 run-scorer as an overseas batsman for CSK. During this match, he surpassed the former Australian cricketer Michael Hussey, who scored 2213 T20 runs for this team. Meanwhile, Du Plessis is now the third most T20 run-scorer for this team, only behind of Suresh Raina (5369 runs) and MS Dhoni (4443 runs).
ii) South African cricketer Faf du Plessis has scored 2004 IPL runs for CSK.
- Faf du Plessis is the first overseas batsman to score 2000+ IPL runs for CSK.
- Faf du Plessis is the third cricketer to score 2000+ IPL runs for CSK. Indian cricketers Suresh Raina (4527 runs) and MS Dhoni (3994 runs) were the other two names in this list.
Ravindra Jadeja – 1st Indian to record 1000 IPL runs and 50 IPL wickets for same team
i) All-rounder Ravindra Jadeja, who has taken 85 IPL wickets for CSK, has also scored 1024 IPL runs for this team.
- Ravindra Jadeja became the first Indian to manage both the 1000+ IPL runs and 50+ IPL wickets for a team. In overall, he became the fourth cricketer to achieve the duo feat in IPL for a team.