New Delhi, Feb 24 (IANS) WBO Oriental super middleweight champion Zulpikar Miamiatiali, who was set to fight WBO Asia Pacific Super middleweight champion Vijender Singh in Mumbai on April 1, has backed out of the bout, the promoters IOS Boxing announced on Friday.
According to IOS Boxing Promotions, the talks with the Chinese promoters have fallen flat, but the fight will take place as scheduled with another boxer, who will be announced soon.
“Zulpikar has refused to fight Vijender Singh, but that does not mean that the fight will not take place… it is likely to happen later in the year. However, the bout, set for April 1 in Mumbai, has not changed. We are talking to other boxers in the same category as Vijender and we will announce the opponent soon… Later in summer,” IOS Boxing Promotions promoter Neerav Tomar said in a statement.
Vijender, who is currently training in Manchester under his trainer Lee Beard said: “I like to take things positively, I am sure Zulpikar has his reasons for not fighting. However, I am ready to fight whoever is my next opponent. My promoters are working towards it and I am sure they will come up with another challenger. I am preparing myself for whoever is willing to fight.”
The 31-year-old Vijender, who has remained unbeaten in all his seven fights since turning professional, will return to India during the last week of March for the bout.