2014 proved another year of cricketing excitement and saw many new cricketing records being established. Here are some of them:
1. Corey Anderson, the hard hitting left-hander broke Shahid Afridi’s record for the fastest century in an ODI match when he scored a century of just 36 balls against West Indies.
2. Rohit Sharma rocked the cricketing World when he scored the highest individual score by any batsman in ODI cricket. Rohit Sharma scored 264 runs breaking Virender Sehwag’s record of 219 runs.
3. Rohit Sharma became the first player to score 2 double centuries in ODIs. His first double century came against Australia.
4. 2014 saw the most number of cricketers to have played at the International level. For now, the count is 505 players.
5. AB de Villliers, arguably the best batsman in the present era, broke Adam Gilchrist’s record of most consecutive Test matches since debut. The ongoing Test match against West Indies is his 97th one. Gilchrist had played 96 consecutive Test matches since debut.
6. Brendon McCullum hit 33 sixes in 2014. This is the record beating previous record of 22 sixes, which was jointly shared by Adam Gilchrist and Virender Sehwag.
7. Steve Smith became the youngest Australian Test captain to score a century on captaincy debut.