Flamboyant West Indies batsman Chris Gayle has said he will file a defamation case against Fairfax Media as it reported that he allegedly exposed himself to a woman during the 2015 Cricket World Cup.
Gayle, 36, issued a statement on Thursday saying he had retained media lawyer Mark O’Brien and would “immediately commence defamation proceedings against Fairfax Media”.
“Cricketer Chris Gayle has strongly denied allegations first published by Fairfax Media that he indecently exposed himself to a woman during last year’s World Cup in Sydney,” the statement said.
“Despite such denial, Fairfax Media continues to publish the false and defamatory allegations which have received widespread republication in media throughout the world.”
The alleged report first published on Wednesday after an Australian women who working around the players during the World Cup 2015.
The allegations, first published on Wednesday, were made by an Australian woman who was working around the players. The annoumous women told Fairfax media that Gyale has exposed his genitals when he was searching for a sandwich in the players’s room thinking they were oout for traning. But, according to her Gayle along with one of his teammates were present in the room.
The allegation has reportedly damaged the chances that Gayle will return to play in the Big Bash League.
Gayle’s franchise Melbourne Renegades fined Gayle $10,000 for the comments he made to female sports journalist Mel McLaughlin in alive sidelines interview during Monday’s Big Bash League game between Gayle’s Renegades and the Hobard Hurricanes.
Gayle told Mel that she had beautiful eyes and asked her out for a drink. McLaughlin felt uncomfortable, returned to a question about the match, Gayle said, “Don’t blush, baby.”
He later apologised for his ofence, saying it was a “simple joke”.
“There wasn’t anything meant to be disrespectful or offensive to Mel. If she felt that way, I’m really sorry for that,” he said.
McLaughlin later in an interview accepted public apology saying, “I just want to move on.”
The Renegades chief executive Stuart Coventry, described the timing of the woman’s allegations as
“opportunistic”, sparking criticism from his employer, Cricket Victoria. Its boss, Tony Donemaide, said: “We certainly don’t condone the reported comments attributed to Stuart this morning and we’re looking into it further.
“ Cricket Victoria are committed to demonstrating that our sport respects girls and women and were working incredibly hard to ensure that is the case.”
Cricket Victoria and Melbourne Renegades will both be subject to mandatory quotas of 40 peer cent women on their governing boards if the Victorian government accepts a parliamentary committee’s recommendation to improve gender equality in sport.
However, Fairfax Media declined to comment.