There are chances of the first ODI between India and West Indies at Kochi might not happen due to the players mulling a strike over their new pay structure. West Indies players have come out strongly against the West Indies Players Association (WIPA) president and chief executive Wavell Hinds, who they claim tricked them and did not take their inputs while signing a new memorandum of understanding with West Indies Cricket Board last month. The visitors even skipped a practice session yesterday.
Acording to players’ representative and aptain Dwayne Bravo, under the new MoU, the players understand their Test, ODI and T20 fees “have been decreased by 75%”; that they will receive “no compensation for the use of our rights. That has been decreased by 100%”; and their ICC fees have been “decreased by close to 100%”.
What irked the players the most, they said, was being kept in the dark about the “purported agreement.” The letter stated that the first time any agreement was seen by the players was a match/tour contract with a new fee structure “significantly different from what we received in the past. This was given to us in India,” Bravo said.
The West Indian Cricket Board says they are deeply regretted by this move and have apologised to the fans incase the first ODI was disrupted by this strike.
The West Indies Cricket Board has been advised that a number of players forming the West Indies One Day International squad currently in India, and scheduled to play five ODIs, commencing with the first ODI tomorrow, Wednesday October 8, have expressed concerns to WIPA on a number of issues relating to the CBA/MOU recently signed by WICB and WIPA. It has also come to the WICB’s attention that the some of the players could withdraw their services for the first ODI. The WICB deeply regrets this apparent eventuality, especially in light of the tedious and substantial work which went into the good faith negotiations to arrive at the new, historic CBA/MOU. The WICB apologises to the fans, the BCCI and all other stakeholders should the first ODI be disrupted as a result of player action. The WICB is making every effort to ensure that it fulfills all its commitments and that cricket is played. The WICB further thanks the BCCI, the host board, for their understanding and pleads with fans to exercise calm and patience. The Board trusts that a reasoned approach is taken and that the interest of cricket is served. The Board will make further announcements as may be necessary.