The Story:

Almost a year ago, when the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) appointed Anil Kumble as the coach, a huge controversy followed the decision. Sourav Ganguly, the chief of the committee and front runner Ravi Shastri had a war of words with the former alleging Ganguly of negligence.

BCCI is in no mood to see a repeat of that incident and therefore, has decided to come up with an innovative method to balance things.

Shastri was out of the country holidaying in Bangkok at the time of the interview and alleged that he was interviewed via skype by all the committee members except Ganguly. Later, when the news was out that Kumble has been signed for a one year contract, Shastri came out blazing at Ganguly. The former ‘Team Director’ stated that he found Ganguly’s absence very disrespectful.

Ganguly also hit back stating, “I just feel his (Shastri) comments are very personal. If Ravi Shastri feels that Sourav Ganguly was responsible for him not being the India coach, he is living in a fool’s world,” an angry Ganguly told TV channels.

“It angers me that he gave a suggestion that I should be available for such meetings. I have been a part of BCCI meetings for some time and I have always been available. My advice to Ravi is that when the coach of India is selected and one of the most important jobs, he should be in front of the committee and not sit in Bangkok and give a presentation while being on a holiday,” Ganguly said.

The matter died a natural death some time later as the two decided to bury the verbal attacks.

BCCI alert this time

BCCI wants to avoid a repetition of last year’s incident. As reported by TOI, CAC members, which include Sachin Tendulkar, VVS Laxman and Ganguly will take the final decision. It is also been internally decided that BCCI will do away with the interviews.

Coach Anil Kumble resigned from the post following India defeat to Pakistan in the Champions Trophy 2017 final in London last month. Following, the resignation from Kumble, BCCI has intensified its search for a replacement.

The last date to apply for the job is July 9 (till midnight). It has been reported that the CAC will decide the successor on July 10 in Mumbai.

Top names in the fray

The BCCI has tried to justify the decision to get rid of interviews by claiming that the CAC members are well aware of the quality and capacity of each applicant.

Top names like Virender Sehwag, Ravi Shastri, and Tom Moody are favourites at the moment while other names like Lalchand Rajput, Richard Pybus and Dodda Ganesh are also in the race.

“The board members are keen that the Ganguly-Shastri spat shouldn’t be repeated. The final call will be taken very soon,” a top unnamed board functionary said.

  • SHARE

    Related Posts

    Golfer Bhullar Holds One-Shot Lead At Macao Open

    Macau, Oct 21 (IANS) Indian golfer Gaganjeet Bhullar struggled with a three-over 74 in the third and penultimate round as he saw his overnight four-shot...

    Dortmund Held; Leverkusen Rout Monchengladbach

    Berlin, Oct 21 (IANS) Borussia Dortmund settled for a 2-2 away draw on Saturday against Eintracht Frankfurt in a fresh setback in their Bundesliga campaign,...

    We Have To Take our chances against Brazil: German Coach Wueck

    Kolkata, Oct 21 (IANS) Germany coach Christian Wueck on Saturday said his team cannot be as profligate as they were throughout the FIFA Under-17 World...

    United Stunned, City Go 5 Points Clear, Chelse Beat Watford In EPL

    London, Oct 21 (IANS) Promoted Huddesfield stunned record champions Manchester United, while leaders Manchester City thrashed Burnley 3-0 to take a five-point lead and defending...

    Shuttler Srikanth Enters Denmark Open Final

    Odense (Denmark), Oct 21 (IANS) Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth will have the chance to win his third Superseries title of the season as he entered...