The quarter-final spots are yet to be decided and in a twist of things, hosts Australia might end up facing South Africa in their Quarter-Finals at Adelaide and the winner is most likely to face New Zealand in the semis.
For this to happen, Australia’s last Group game at Scorland at Hobart must be washed out with the points getting shared. It will put the Australians (won 3 matches in the Group stages) along with Sri Lanka (4 wins in Group stages) with 8 points at the end of the group stage with the 2011 World Cup runners up have a poor Net Run Rate than the Oz. But the Sri Lanka might finish ahead of Australia if the match is washed out and both Australia and Lanka finish with the same number of points.
According to ICC, in the event of teams finishing on equal points in the group, the quarter-final spots will be decided in the following order of priority.
- The team with the most wins in the group matches will be placed in the higher position.
- If there are teams with equal points and equal wins in the Pool matches then in such case the team with the higher net run rate in the Pool matches will be placed in the higher position.
- If two or more teams are still equal, they will be ordered according to the head to head matches played between them.
- In the highly unlikely event that teams cannot be separated by the above, teams will be ordered according to their original seeding.
- If all matches within a Pool are a no result, the top four seeded teams will progress to the quarter-finals.
If a quarter-final is tied or abandoned, then the team that finished in the higher position in the Pool stage shall proceed to the semi-finals.
If a semi-final is is tied or abandoned, then the team that finished in the higher position in the Pool stage shall proceed Final
In the event of a tied final, the teams shall compete in a Super Over to determine which team is the winner. If the match is abandoned, the teams shall be declared joint winners.
If the above scenario happens and India beats Bangladesh in the quarters, they will face the winner between Sri Lanka and Pakistan/West Indies/Ireland.