It was a prime start for India in the 5-match series against Sri Lanka. India dominated with their performance throughout the game. Sri Lanka won the toss initially and asked India to bat first. India started things incredibly well with a mammoth 231 run stand for the opening partnership. Also, the middle order of the Indian line up came handy too which was followed by some smart pieces of bowling which led Sri Lanka to face a huge defeat. Virat Kohli, the standing captain for the series, managed his troops well. India won the match by 169 runs. Here is the list of the HITS and FLOPS of the game.
HITS Of The Match
- Shikhar Dhawan (India): The left handed opening batsman found some form today and scored a ton after quite sometime. After making slow start, he shifted his gears from the time when he was at 36 off 61 deliveries. He played some fantastic shots and was part of the 231 run stand for the opening partnership. He scored 113 runs off 107 balls with 14 fours and 3 sixes.
- Ajinkya Rahane (India): He was getting dismissed on most number of occasions after getting good starts but today he managed to convert the start into a big one. He was quite aggressive right from the start of the innings and played some glorious drives. He scored 111 runs off 108 deliveries when he was dismissed by Suraj Randiv.
- Suresh Raina (India): He played his 200th ODI today and his cameo at the end helped India to reach to a total of 363 runs. He scored a blistering half century. He scored 52 runs off 34 deliveries with 4 fours and 3 sixes.
- Ishant Sharma (India): He was fantastic with his bowling today and bowled with a decent line and length. He kept the pressure on the batsmen right from the start and his line and length were pretty much straight. He grabbed 4 wickets in the 8 overs he bowled and gave only 34 runs.
Flops Of The Match
- Tilekaratne Dilshan (Sri Lanka): The destructive opening batsman of Sri Lanka failed to cause any destruction today. Chasing down a mammoth total of over 350 runs, he had some responsibilities but he failed to stand up against the responsibility and was dismissed at a score of 18 runs off 22 deliveries.
- Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka): The Sri Lankan star also failed to perform today. On a batting track, he gave away his wicket when his team needed him to perform the most. He scored 13 runs off 13 balls and he was dismissed by Ishant Sharma.
- Varun Aaron (India): The prime fast bowler of India did not manage to bowl well today. Even when the Sri Lankan batsmen were pressurized, he failed to bowl in strict line and length and was quite sort of expensive thus. He was injured in his 5th over and he gave 26 runs in 4.1 overs.
- Angelo Mathews (Sri Lanka): The Sri Lankan all-rounder performed poorly today. He was expensive with the ball and could not pose any damage with the bat either. He made 23 runs and was dismissed by Raina.