Throughout the years, we have seen plenty of batsmen turning out to be incredible captains. It is quite a sort of belief that has grown up in Cricket that batsmen are more intelligent to the context of the game and it is quite normal that batsmen are captain of the sides. At present too, the scenario is same. We have MS Dhoni, AB De Villiers, Michael Clarke, Misbah-ul-Haq, Brendon McCullum as captains of the international sides and all of them are great batsmen. In this article, we are to take a look on the captains with highest batting averages and who have scored a minimum of 5000 international runs.
- Greg Chappell– 51.99: The former Australian batsman was pretty much consistent and he won quite a few matches for his team. He was a prime strength of his team for a prolonged period of time. He even captained the Australian side for quite sometime.
- Michael Clarke- 50.25: The Australian middle order batsman has been consistent mostly throughout his career. He made is test debut against India in 2004 and since then he has been pretty much consistent. He had scored a century in his debut test. Presently, he is the captain of the Australian team. Injuries have caused him some troubles in the recent past. But he is expected to be back in scoring ways soon.
- Misbah-ul-Haq- 49.61: The Pakistani captain has been perhaps the most consistent player for them in the recent past. He has been the pivotal character in the middle order for Pakistan. He played many great knocks which saved Pakistan on a number of occasions.
- MS Dhoni- 48.53: The captain cool from India also makes his name into the list. He is a great batsman himself. He has also saved India’s cause in a number of occasions. He is regarded as one of the best finishers of modern day cricket.
- Clive Llyod- 47.66: The World Cup winning captain of West Indies was himself a brilliant middle order batsman. He was a dependant batsman of the West Indian side. During his days as a captain, West Indies were the prime strengths in World Cricket.
- Inzamam-ul-Haq- 47.42:The former middle order batsman of Pakistan was a great Captain and a leader himself. Once he used to get settled at the crease, no bowler managed to trouble him convincingly. He is one of the leading international run scorers for Pakistan till date.
- Ricky Ponting– 45.54: The Punter too makes his place into this list. He was a great captain and captained Australia to two successful World Cup tournaments in 2003 and in 2007. He still remains as Australia’s most dependable player at number 3 position.