Like Rising Pune Supergiants (RPS), another new team in IPL 2016, Gujarat Lions (GL) started their IPL journey with a victory. On Monday night, Gujarat Lions played their first ever IPL game and it was against Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) at Mohali.
After winning the toss, Gujarat Lions skipper Suresh Raina decided to field first. Though KXIP put a very good opening start, they only managed to score 161/6 in 20 overs. In reply, the newcomer IPL team Gujarat Lions successfully achieved that target in 17.4 overs with 5 wickets still in hand (162/5).
Here are the statistical highlights of the game are given below:
- Gujarat Lions bowler Dwayne Bravo picked up 4 wickets in this match and made a total of 302 wickets in his T20 career (not confused with T20I). He became the first bowler to clinch 300 wickets in T20 career. Sri Lankan bowler Lasith Malinga is in the second position in this list with 299 wickets.
- Gujarat Lions bowler Dwayne Bravo bowled superbly in this match and ended with the figure of 4-0-22-4. It was his best figure in IPL and third best in his T20 career. Also, it was his second 4-wickets haul in IPL.
- Former New Zealand cricketer and opening batsman of Gujarat Lions, Brendon McCullum was dismissed on duck (0 runs in 2 balls) in this match. It was his 5th duck in IPL history.
- Another Gujarat Lions opener Aaron Finch played a 74 runs knock during the chasing. It was his second-best score in IPL history while his best innings was unbeaten 88 runs against Delhi Daredevils at Dubai in IPL 2014.
- Aaron Finch scored 74 runs in this match without hitting any sixes. It was the second most runs scored by a batsman in the IPL history without hitting any sixes. The highest score by a batsman without hitting any sixes in IPL history was 77*, which was made by Mandeep Singh (KXIP) in 2013.