When the name of music comes only one name comes in mind is Punjab. Last year Kings XI Punjab was the most consistent side in 2014 edition and played some excellent cricket throughout the tournament. The captian Geroge Bailey was superb and encouraged the young Indian players to perform well.
In this year edition Murali Vijay has been brought by Kings XI Punjab for a prize money of 3 Crore from Delhi Daredevils and pacer Shardul Thakur which has well in the 2014/2015 edition of Ranji Trophy season.
This team has done well in the 2014 edition and has the ability to go the full distance and win the cup for the first time. The supporters of Punjab have been great supporting their team throughout the last edition. As Punjab will be looking for their first title this is a team to watch out for in this edition.
In this article, we analyze the Punjab based franchise in depth.
Geroge Bailey(C), Anureet Singh, Parvinder Awana, Rishi Dhawan, Yogesh Galwkar, Gurkeet Singh Mann, Beuran Hendricks, Mitchell Johnson, Karanveer Singh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, David Miller, Thisara Perera, Wriddhman Saha(WK), Sandeep Sharma, Virender Sehwag, Shivam Sharma, Shardul Thakhur, Murali Vijay, Manan Vohra
Kings XI Punjab has a strong batting line up. Virender Sehwag and Manan Vohra gave perfect starts to the team in the last season. With Murali Vijay in the team they have got the option of opening with him. It is followed by Wriddhman Saha who hit a century in the finals of 2014 edition, followed by explosive Maxwell, Bailey, Miller, Thisara Perera. It looks like a very good unit. The bowling looks good also which comprises of Mitchell Johnson, Sandeep Sharma, Rishi Dhawan, Shardul Thakur and young Aksar Patel.
They have good coaching staff which comprises of Sanjay Bangar and also their owner Pretty Zinta have been quite supportive cheering Punjab. The young talent Manan Vohra, Maxwell and Miller has been quite explosive and has chased down huge scores in the previous edition. This team has a good bonding and gel well as a unit. It’s the time to make amends of the loss last year and come with new passion, the aggressive mindset they put on the field. The pitches at Mohali will be helping their cause as it will help both bowlers and batsmen. This is a good pitch to bat and chasing can be ease as it was seen last year.
The main weakness of this team is their lack of experience among Indian players. They played some excellent cricket in 2014 but lost out in the finals because they reached the finals of IPL for the first time. Their spin department looks little thin if the pace bowlers goes for runs they need a good spinner which they do not have apart from Axar Patel.
The last year’s edition was a successful season for Kings XI Punjab especially domestic Indian players. The likes of Sandeep Sharma, Axar Patel, Manan Vohra, Karanveer Singh to showcase their talent to the World and play an important role of winning matches. They played very well under the captaincy of Bailey and got the expreince of playing with the likes of Sehwag and international players playing in the squad. So this time as well one can say the above mentioned players have an oppurtunity to draw attention of national selectors.
Kings XI Punjab with lot of big names in their team must not get relaxed. They should play with an aggressive attitude. They need to play with same intention every match. Last year they lost the qualifier 1 and came to finals beating Chennai Super Kings. Their big names must perform and should treat each game as normal game.
- Rajasthan Royals vs Kings XI Punjab -10th April (8.00PM)at Pune
- Mumbai Indians vs Kings XI Punjab- 12th April(8.00PM) at Mumbai
- Delhi Daredevils vs Kings XI Punjab-15th April(8.00PM) at Pune
- Kolkatta Knight Riders vs Kings XI Punjab- 18th April(8.00PM)at Pune
- Rajasthan Royals vs Kings XI Punjab- 21st April(8.00PM) at Ahmadabad
- Chennai Super Kings vs Kings XI Punjab- 25th April(8.00PM) at Chennai
- Sunrisers Hyderbad vs Kings XI Punjab-27th April(8.00PM) at Mohali
- Delhi Daredevils vs Kings XI Punjab- 1st May(4.00PM) at Delhi
- Mumbai Indians vs Kings XI Punjab- 3rd May( 4.00PM) at Mohali
- Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Kings XI Punjab- 6th May(8.00PM) at Bangalore
- Kolkatta Knight Riders vs Kings XI Punjab- 9th May(4.00PM)at Kolkata
- Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Kings XI Punjab- 11th May(8.00PM)at Hyderabad
- Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Kings XI Punjab- 13th May(8.00PM)at Mohali
- Chennai Super Kings vs Kings XI Punjab-16th May(4.00PM)at Mohali
Considering the power that Kings XI Punjab has up its sleeve this time they might lift the cup after finishing second last year.