For the fans of the current generation, the current Indian skipper for the limited overs, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, has provided some of the best memories in the last decade.
He won India the World T20 in 2007 and then went on to win the 50-over World Cup in India in 2011. Though his haters term his achievements lucky, there is no denying the fact that the wicket-keeper batsman is one of the most intelligent cricketers in the game.
He has not been able to provide the kind of entertainment he used to before, but Dhoni is still one of the most feared batsman in the world. Adding to it his keeping skills, the 34-year old is one of the best players to play the game after the turn of the century.
He recently helped a second string Indian side to an ODI and a T20 series victory and on his way equaled a prestigious record previously held by Australian great Ricky Ponting. MS Dhoni has now captained India in 324 international matches across all formats and is now equal with the former Australian batsman, a record he will break the next time he takes the field.
On the eve of yet another feather in his cap, we have dug up all the important records the Indian skipper holds at the moment:
- He completed his 107th ODI victory in the tour to Zimbabwe equaling Australian great Allan Border’s record.
- He is also the second most successful ODI captain just behind another Australian in Ricky Ponting.
- He is the most successful Indian captain in all three formats.
- He has also played the most number of international games as an Indian captain.
- And also the most matches by a wicket-keeping batsman.
- He is the most capped Indian wicket-keeper.
- He has the most centuries for an Indian wicket-keeper.
- The Indian skipper holds the record for the highest individual test score by an Indian captain. (224) which is the third highest for a wicket-keeper in the history of the game.
- He also registered the highest score for an Indian wicket-keeper in the same innings.
- To add to it, he also holds the record for the highest score by a wicket-keeper captain.
- He is the first Indian wicket-keeper to score a double hundred and is the first wicket-keeper to reach the landmark in a day.
- Dhoni has the most overseas Test losses as captain – 15
- And also the second highest number of matches lost as India captain – 18
- He also holds the record for the most number of ducks by an Indian captain- 8.
- He has the most dismissals by an Indian wicket-keeper in test matches- 294
- The only wicket-keeper to effect 9 dismissals in a single match
These records only stress on the fact that the Indian national team is lucky to have a leader as accomplished as MSD. Though he may not be able to provide the country with major honors in the years left in his career, the most successful Indian skipper will surely be remembered by every cricket fan in the country for decades to come.