Bridgetown (Barbados), Feb 2 (IANS) Twenty20 captain Darren Sammy has spoken of his disappointment at not being offered a retainer contract by the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB).

The former Test captain was one chopped from the 15-man list announced recently by the WICB for the period running from October 1 last year to September 30, 2016, reports CMC.

“It’s the first time in the last seven or eight years that I’ve not been given a retainer by the WICB. It’s quite disappointing, but cricket has not been about Darren Sammy, it’s for the West Indian people,” Sammy said on Monday.

“I am disappointed that I never received a contract from the WICB, but it’s not my decision. I’ve played the two limited-overs formats for West Indies on a regular basis and performed the role I was asked. It’s very disappointing, particularly as I am the Twenty20 captain, but life goes on.”

Sammy has been a key figure in the West Indies cricket over the last five years and played a significant role in leading the Caribbean side to the capture of the Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka four years ago.

He also captained the side in 30 of his 38 Tests before retiring two years ago after being sacked in favour of Denesh Ramdin.

Sammy has continued to play the shorter formats, however, and was part of the one-day squad for the Cricket World Cup in Australia and New Zealand last February.

The 32-year-old, who now campaigns extensively in the various domestic T20 leagues across the globe, said he remained committed to representing the West Indies in the shorter formats.

“I guess they (WICB) are more focused on Test cricket, which I’ve retired from, but I’m fully committed to the One-Day and Twenty20 format for West Indies if selected,” Sammy said.

“Looking back, when I was growing up I only dreamed of playing for West Indies but now I can travel the world and play for so many different franchise teams.”

He added: “I’ve had some fantastic times playing for West Indies. I enjoy playing for West Indies and it is still my number one priority.

“I have never missed a chance to play for West Indies and have always put playing for my country first and I have always made myself available for selection.”

Sammy will lead the Windies at the T20 World Cup in India in March.

  • SHARE

    The IANS was founded by Indian American publisher Gopal Raju as the India Abroad News Service. It was later renamed the Indo-Asian News Service.

    Related Posts

    Volgograd hotel jacks prices 20 times for World Cup

    Volgograd, Dec 16: Russias consumer rights watchdog Rospotrebnadzor has initiated an administrative case in regard to a hotel in Volgograd for inflating prices by over...

    Bravo doubtful of return to Windies team

    Sharjah, Dec 16: West Windies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has expressed doubts on his possible return to national colours in any format. Bravo, who last represented the...

    Ranji Trophy: Karnataka favourites against Vidarbha

    Kolkata, Dec 16: Eight-time champions Karnataka will be hot favourites against Vidarbha who are still not sure of the services of India speedster Umesh Yadav...

    Knee injury forces Sania to miss Australian Open

    Kolkata, Dec 16: Indian tennis star Sania Mirza said on Saturday that she will not be taking part in the Australian Open early next year...

    Man Utd still in title race: Matic

    Manchester, Dec 16: Serbian midfielder Nemanja Matic said on Saturday that Manchester United are not out of the race for the English Premier League (EPL)...