The Aussies have been known for their aggressiveness in the game and they consistently remained a strong team. They do possess the quality of finding best players from time to time and there were no shortage of classy players in Australia. Throughout the years, we have seen brilliant players and the Australian team has always been one of the toughest sides to beat. They were always the stronger team on paper. In this article, we make up list of the Top 5 Australian Cricketers throughout the years of Cricketing history.
1. Sir Donald Bradman : He leads the chart with no surprise. He is still regarded as THE best batsman the world has ever seen. He had also been the most consistent batsman the World has ever seen. He had a whooping test average of 99.94 after 80 innings in which he batted. This still remains as a record. He also has 29 international centuries by his name in just 80 innings.
2. Ricky Ponting: The Punter deserves to be in this list. He was a great batsman himself and also a brilliant captain. Australian team was considered to be unbeatable during his reign as a captain. He was perhaps the most successful captain in the history of World Cricket and perhaps he was the only captain who captained his team to 2 back to back World Cup wins in 2003 and in 2007. Besides being a great captain, he was perhaps the most dependable batsman for Australia at number 3. He also has 41 test centuries and 30 ODI centuries after his name.
3. Shane Warne: The next big thing that could have happened to Australian cricket is the legendary leg spinner, Shane Warne. He was brilliant with his spin and who can forget his ball of the century to Mike Gatting in the 1993 Ashes. He has over 700 test wickets and is the second highest wicket taker in test cricket. Only Muralitharan stands above him. He was also a major reason for Australia’s World Cup win in 1999.
4. Allan Border: Another instance of an outstanding leader is Allan Robert Border. He was an inspirational leader and led his team to World Cup victory in 1987. He was one of the best left handed batsmen Australia have ever produced. He was sensational test player too and is still run scorers in test cricket with over 11000 runs. He also has 27 international test centuries after his name.
5. Adam Gilchrist: He was a brilliant wicket keeper and perhaps one of the best wicket keepers in the history of the game. He was a great pinch hitter too and paced up the Australian innings in no time. In early 2000, Adam Gilchrist and Mathew Hayden formed the deadliest opening pairs. He was a great lower middle order batsman in tests too. He kept wickets for Australia for over a decade and was most suited for the job. Above all, he is a great person too and helped many other cricketers. Also, he captained Deccan Chargers for their IPL win back in 2009.