Indian Test captain Virat Kohli rose to his career-best ranking of number four in the ICC Tests Batsman Rankings released by the ICC on Tuesday.
Virat Kohli, who scored 167 and 81 in both the innings of the second Test match against England at Visakhapatnam, helped his side drew the first blood in the series as India won the match by a huge margin of 246 runs. Courtesy of a dominant individual performance, the captain moved up 10 spots in the rankings and the crossed the 800-point barrier for the first time in his five-year-old Tests career.
His match-winning efforts in Visakhapatnam earned him 97 points as the 28-year-old is now trailing behind England’s Joe Root by 22 points, who stands tall in the second place. In his quest to reach the number one ranking in Tests, his performance in the upcoming Mohali Tests, which starts on 26 November, will matter as runs on board will surely close the points gap on three batsmen above him.
Another middle-order batsman Cheteshwar Pujara has also gained one place to reach ninth rank after scoring 119 and one in the second Test match.
On the other hand, fast bowler Mohammad Shami has gain five places to reach a career-high 21st rank while left-arm spinner Ravindra Jadeja has moved up one position to sixth place.
ICC Test Rankings For Batsmen
- Steve Smith (Australia) 897 Points
- Joe Root (England) 844 Points
- Kane Williamson (New Zealand) 838 Points
- Virat Kohli (India) 822 Points
- Hashim Amla (South Africa) 809 Points
- Younus Khan (Pakistan) 790 Points
- Ab de Villiers (South Africa) 786 Points
- David Warner (Australia) 784 Points
- Cheteshwar Pujara (India) 768 Points
- Alastair Cook (England) 760 Points
ICC Test Rankings For Bowlers
- Ravichandran Ashwin (India) 895 Points
- Rangana Herath (Sri Lanka) 867 Points
- Dale Steyn (South Africa) 852 Points
- James Anderson (England) 850 Points
- Stuart Broad (England) 820 Points
- Ravindra Jadeja (India) 795 Points
- Yasir Shah (Pakistan) 789 Points
- Mitchell Starc (Australia) 775 Points
- Josh Hazlewood (Australia) 770 Points
- Vernon Philander (South Africa) 761 Points
*Rankings are updated up-to 22nd November, 2016.