Barcelona are preparing to make a third offer to sign star man Philippe Coutinho from Liverpool this summer – and have the backing of both Lionel Messi and Neymar in their pursuit.
That’s at least according to Transfer Market Web, who claim that the Catalan giants are preparing an offer of in excess of £50m to convince Liverpool to sell, while Coutinho will be offered wages in the region of £125,000-a-week. That’s in spite of the fact the Brazilian recently signed a new long-term contract to commit his future to the Reds.
The report claims that both Messi and Neymar are huge fans of the player – Coutinho and Barca’s Brazilian magician are particularly close – and have put forward the suggestion that the club sign him ahead of next season. Coutinho has in the past been resistant to the speculation but very few players are able to resist the lure of one of the world’s biggest clubs.
Despite the ongoing speculation and predicted summer pursuit of the player from Barca, Liverpool are in a strong position as their player remains contracted to the club until 2022, and manager Jurgen Klopp last month admitted he wasn’t concerned by the rumours.
According to Goal, he said: “I am not concerned because I think Phil fits really well here and is comfortable here. I think it is actually positive when there is interest. It shows it’s good.
“That’s wonderful for us. But I am not concerned [about Barcelona] actually, because we give the boys enough perspective that they really want to be part of this for the next few years.”
Coutinho arrived in the north-west from Inter Milan in 2013 for £11m, and has gone on to become one of Liverpool’s most influential players.
Meanwhile, the Brazilian is confident he’ll be fit to face Southampton this weekend after sustaining a thigh injury against Watford on Monday night.
The Brazilian, who was sidelined for two months after tearing ligaments in his ankle, was forced off at Vicarage Road with a dead-leg following a collision with Watford’s Adrian Mariappa in the 13th minute.
Manager Jurgen Klopp confirmed after the 1-0 victory against the London club – courtesy of Emre Can’s stunning overhead kick – that Coutinho’s injury was “not too serious”.
Speaking to Liverpoolfc.com, the player echoed his manager’s words as he confirmed that he had not sustained a long-term injury.
“The injury is much better,” he said. “It was a hard tackle and what happened was a dead leg. It caused a lot of pain in the area I was hit, but the pain has reduced now.
“At the moment, I am feeling very well – the first couple of days were the most painful.”