Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has insisted Xabi Alonso is very much interested in extending his contract with Bayern Munich.

34-year-old Alonso, joined the German champions from Real Madrid in the 2014 summer and since then has impressed the club hierarchy, except a short period of poor form during Bayern’s struggles towards the end of last term.

The former Spanish midfielder’s contract is set to expire at the end of this season and last September it was suggested that he was open to a move in MLS or China, while a possible return to his former club Liverpool was also in the cards.  

However, Rummenigge recently revealed that there will be soon a meeting with Alonso’s agent and also said that the veteran midfielder has indicated, he would like to continue with Bayern.

Rummenigge told Sport Bild: “I recently had a meeting with Xabi. He and his family feel extraordinarily good here at FC Bayern and in Munich. He has signalled that in principle he is interested in staying at Bayern.”

He further said: “We will in the near future give the situation some concrete thought and hold relevant talks with his agent. There is nothing to the rumours that he’s planning his departure.”

But Alonso has repeatedly said he is keeping an open mind regarding his next move and told Sport Bild that he hasn’t taken any decision yet “either for or against FC Bayern.”

The Spaniard also said he was happy to hear that Bayern are keen to hold on to him and added: “I feel a lot of respect here. That’s very important to me. Now we’ll see what happens.”

However, it is still not clear whether Pep Guardiola will continue to manage Bayern after the end of this season but Alonso confirmed the manager’s plans would not affect his own decision.

“Of course, Pep Guardiola is extremely important for me,” Alonso said. “He was the one who wanted me and who signed me for FC Bayern. He has a great influence on me.

“None of us know what will happen and we are all waiting for him to make a decision on his future.

“We would all like him to stay at FC Bayern, but it’s his decision. Just like I have to decide my future independently.”

Bayern sporting executive Matthias Sammer, last week said that it is “too early” to open talks with the 34-year-old Spaniard and suggested the scenario will not change before the season ends.

 

  • SHARE

    Related Posts

    Mohammad Hafeez Reported For Suspect Bowling Action Again

    Pakistan allrounder Mohammad Hafeez has been reported for a suspect bowling action once again. The off-spinner was reported for a suspect action by match officials...

    Here’s The Daily Sports Round Up From Around The Globe On 19th October, 2017

    Here is Sportzwiki’s daily news round-up, featuring top sports news from around the world, on 19th October 2017. Here’s all the news from sporting...

    David Warner Reveals Why He Asked Rohit Sharma To Talk English

    Three years after being involved in a heated exchange with Rohit Sharma, Australia's star David Warner has revealed why he told the India opener to...

    SA vs BAN 2nd ODI: Every Team Lacks An AB de Villiers: Mashrafe Mortaza

    If Bangladesh were hoping for a respite in the third One-Day International against South Africa on Wednesday (October 18) after being thoroughly outplayed in the...

    South Africa Vs Bangladesh 2017: AB De Villiers Is A Destroyer – Mashrafe Mortaza

    Doubting champions is never the sensible thing to do especially in a sport like cricket, which thrives on the brilliance of champions. One such...