Boca Juniors has officially confirmed the signing of Argentine striker Carlos Tevez. Carlos Tevez was a youth product of Boca and is delighted to return to his boyhood club.
Boca announced the deal during Argentina’s Copa America quarterfinal penalty shootout victory against Colombia, in which Tevez scored the winning spot kick.
— Boca Jrs. Oficial (@BocaJrsOficial) June 27, 2015
Paris St. Germain, Liverpool and Atletico Madrid had also been rumoured to be interested in acquiring Tevez’s services but Boca have won the race for his signature.
The former Manchester United, Manchester City and West Ham United striker had a great season for Juventus last season. He scored 20 goals for them in Serie A.
Juventus had already replaced Tevez with Mario Mandzukic from Atletico.
Boca Juniors confirmed the transfer while Tevez was on the bench for the Copa America quarter-final against Colombia.
Shortly after the announcement was made, Tevez came on to score the winning penalty in a shootout to send Argentina into the last four.
Boca president Daniel Angelici said: “It is a day of joy and great satisfaction. The return of Carlos Tevez in an extraordinary moment of his career is fantastic news for all partners and supporters of Boca and Argentine football. The presence of Carlos will give another leap in quality to the great squad we have.”
Tevez, who has won three league titles in England and two in Italy, scored 38 goals in 110 games during his first spell at Boca, where he won the league in 2003 and was voted South American Player of the Year for three straight seasons.
He left for Brazilian side Corinthians before the 2005 season, and moved to West Ham the following year.
The 31-year-old’s current remaining contract with the Bianconeri is estimated to be worth €5 million. Boca hope to present him July 6 or 7.
“Everything I do, I do for the good of the club. I am the same person as when I was club treasurer, I know the club finances. I am not going to go crazy. When I go after a player, I am strong and I am convinced. You are all going to see because it will be public. We have had a solid administration over the past three years, we are going to close out with 63 million [Argentine pesos] in profit,” Angelici said.
“We always said that if Carlos won titles in Italy, Juve would not put up obstacles, so we are very grateful for his return to Argentina