FIFA president Sepp Blatter and UEFA president Michel Platini have been banned from all football-related activities for eight years after an ethics committee investigation.

The suspensions come with immediate effect.

Fifa president since 1998, Sepp Blatte had already announced his decision to stepp down ahead of February’s Fifa presidential election.

Whereas, 60-year-old Michel Platini was regarded as the future leader of football’s world governing body and was hoping to succeed Blatter.

A three-time European Footballer of the Year and former captain of France, Platini had been the president of Uefa – European football’s governing body, since 2007.

Not only that, both of them had been banned for 90 days in October while an investigation was going on regarding a £1.3m ($2m) payment by Fifa to Platini in 4 years ago.

However, both have denied any involvement in any kind of wrongdoing.

Actually, Blatter and Platini were found guilty of ethics code violations surrounding a £1.3m ($2m) “disloyal payment” made to the Uefa boss Platini in 2011.

They claimed the payment was done to honour an agreement made in 1998 for work carried out between 1998 and 2002 when Platini used to work as a technical adviser for Blatter.

The investigation showed, the alleged payment was not part of Platini’s written contract, although the pair insisted it was a verbal agreement between them, which is completely legal under Swiss law.

German judge Hans-Joachim Eckert, the chairman of Fifa’s adjudicatory chamber, led disciplinary hearings for Blatter and Platini last week.

The Charges included conflict of interest, false accounting and non-co-operation, as investigators submitted a file of more than 50 pages.

 

  • SHARE

    Related Posts

    Volgograd hotel jacks prices 20 times for World Cup

    Volgograd, Dec 16: Russias consumer rights watchdog Rospotrebnadzor has initiated an administrative case in regard to a hotel in Volgograd for inflating prices by over...

    Bravo doubtful of return to Windies team

    Sharjah, Dec 16: West Windies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has expressed doubts on his possible return to national colours in any format. Bravo, who last represented the...

    Ranji Trophy: Karnataka favourites against Vidarbha

    Kolkata, Dec 16: Eight-time champions Karnataka will be hot favourites against Vidarbha who are still not sure of the services of India speedster Umesh Yadav...

    Knee injury forces Sania to miss Australian Open

    Kolkata, Dec 16: Indian tennis star Sania Mirza said on Saturday that she will not be taking part in the Australian Open early next year...

    Man Utd still in title race: Matic

    Manchester, Dec 16: Serbian midfielder Nemanja Matic said on Saturday that Manchester United are not out of the race for the English Premier League (EPL)...