The Barclays Premier League came to an exciting end earlier this month and the teams who missed out on their targets will surely be disappointed.
However, Manchester United and Crystal Palace have a great chance to redeem their season and end it with silverware in the last match of the season for both sides, the FA Cup final.
The Red Devils have already qualified for the Europa League next season thanks to their 5th placed finish in the points table and a victory in the FA Cup will only give them silverware and do some favors to the Saints who are in the 7th place.
Crystal Palace however will feel that they have over-achieved this season if they are able to oust Louis van Gaal’s side in the final at Wembley especially after a disastrous second half of the Premier League season. It is Wembley as no team has an advantage over the other and Pardew’s side should believe in themselves if they are to run away with the trophy.
This would also act as the last chance for the Dutchman at the helm of Old Trafford as a loss can easily see him sacked right after the end of the game. Here is the preview of this game along with the team new, predicted line-ups, betting odds and predictions.
The FA Cup final between Manchester United and Crystal Palace will be played on Saturday the 21st of May at the Wembley Stadium in London. The kick-off is scheduled at 5:30 pm BST (10:00 pm IST).
Louis van Gaal does not have too many injury headaches ahead of this crunch tie at Wembley. Luke Shaw and Bastian Schweinsteiger are the only two absentees from the squad for this game for United. Matteo Darmian and Marcos Rojo are both fit and might start this game while Fellaini, who has now served his three match suspension is back available for selection. Rashford and Martial are expected to keep their places after impressive performances recently.
Like Van Gaal, Alan Pardew also has very few injury problems to worry about for this cross-town trip to Wembley. Joe Ledley is the only player who is completely out of contention for a place in this game. Bacary Sako is back into the squad and is fully fit while Adebayor, Wickham and Gayle are the options to lead the line for the Eagles. Zaha is also expected to start against his former employers.
De Gea; Valencia, Smalling, Blind, Darmian; Carrick, Fellaini; Mata, Rooney, Martial; Rashford
Hennessey, Ward, Dann, Delaney, Souare, Zaha, Jedinak, Cabaye, Puncheon, Bolasie, Wickham
Anthony Martial vs Scott Dann:
After an impressive start to the Premier League campaign, Palace defender Scott Dann has been out of form in the last few games for the club. This is something that will surely be exploited by United’s most exciting attacker in Anthony Martial who will surely be the danger man for the club at Wembley. This battle is sure to provide some exciting moments on the night.
Wilfred Zaha vs Michael Carrick:
Though plays as a winger, Zaha, loves to cut in-field to find himself space and will be a tough player to catch for United on the night. Playing against his former club, he will have a lot to prove and might just be on the top of his game giving the likes of Carrick plenty of trouble just in front of the defense. This battle can easily decide the outcome of the game.
- Manchester United have never lost to Crystal Palace in the Barclays Premier League (W10 D3).
- The Eagles have failed to score in 10 of their 13 Premier League games against Manchester United and five of six at Old Trafford.
- Manchester United have won their last eight home league matches against Crystal Palace.
- Crystal Palace have kept only one clean sheet away to Manchester United in league competition in 18 attempts – October 1970 (1-0).
- Juan Mata has scored in two of his last three Premier League appearances against the Eagles, netting the winner in this exact fixture last term.
- Marcus Rashford has scored seven goals in his 12 appearances for Manchester United so far, despite attempting only 10 shots on target.
- Crystal Palace have won six Premier League points (W1 D3 L0) in April so far, more than in January, February and March combined (two points – W0 D2 L9).
- Wayne Rooney has scored 99 Premier League goals at Old Trafford – the only player to have scored 100+ at a single Premier League ground is Thierry Henry at Highbury (114).
- Palace are winless in their last eight Premier League away matches (W0 D5 L3) since their last win on the road back on December 19th 2015 at Stoke City.
- All three of Emmanuel Adebayor’s Premier League goals against Manchester United have been scored at Old Trafford.
Manchester United: 4/5
Crystal Palace: 7/2
Manchester United have been in good form over the last few weeks and have shown signs of some solidarity right at the end of the season. However, they will hope that they have peaked at the right time and will try and get the better of Palace on the night. However, Alan Pardew knows a thing or two about frustrating the opponents and winning games making this final all the more interesting. The Red Devils however will start the night as favorites to lift their first trophy in more than 2 years.
Our Prediction: Manchester United 2-1 Crystal Palace