Former Barcelona stars Ronaldinho and Samuel Eto’o could be set for a reunion at the Turkish side.
The Brazilian playmaker left Mexican outfit Queretaro two days ago despite having another year remaining on his contract, and was linked with a move back to his homeland.
Vasco had confirmed that they were close to reaching an agreement with Ronaldinho, but the 35-year-old now looks set for a shock move to Turkey, with Antalyaspor confirming an agreement has been reached.
The newly promoted club have already pounced to sign former Chelsea striker Samuel Eto’o, best remembered for his hat-trick against Manchester United during a brief Premier League spell.
Club president Gultekin Gencer said that the 35-year-old Brazilian forward’s arrival is imminent after terms were agreed – and promised that the newly promoted club, who signed Eto’o last week after his departure from Sampdoria, have not finished in the transfer market.
“We reached an agreement with Ronaldinho,” he told TRT Spor. “I think within two days it’ll be made official.
“Besides Eto’o and Ronaldinho, we will make another big-name signing. When it’s done, we’ll set the world on fire!”
The former Ballon d’Or winner’s last club was the Mexican side Querétaro, with whom he spent nine months before departing earlier in June.
Umit Akbulut, who is apparently representing Ronaldinho in Turkey, gave an interview to Radyospor in which he is reported to have said he had met with Ronaldinho’s brother and Antalyaspor president Gultekin Gencer and that a deal had been agreed in principle.
Akbulut added that the Turkish club were planning to present Ronaldinho and Eto’o together on July 7.
He also shared a video of Ronaldinho on his Instagram account in which the two-time World Player of the Year said: “Soon I will be in Turkey.”
This move will reunite the deadly duo of Barcelona of the previous decade.