England manager Sam Allardyce could contact Chelsea legend John Terry about a potential return to the national team set-up.
The 35-year-old retired from international football four years ago after being involved in a court case for allegedly racially abusing Three Lions teammate Rio Ferdinand’s brother, Anton.
He was later cleared, but claimed the FA had made his position untenable.
Terry won the last of his 78 caps in England’s 5-0 away win over Moldova in September 2012
“I don’t know what the political side of that might mean — if there is a political side,’ said Allardyce.
“I’ll have to have that conversation, if I feel that John Terry may be a possibility. He may be. I think it depends on what John said.
“Maybe if I get the opportunity, I might have to give him a ring. But until I come to that selection or that process, we’ll wait and see.”
Recalling Terry would certainly be controversial, especially with young centre-backs such as John Stones and Chris Smalling currently in the England squad.
Not only could the Stamford Bridge favourite block the path of these potential mainstays, but the experienced defender may not want to play until the next major tournament – the 2018 World Cup in Russia, when he would be 37-years-old.
We may not have to wait long to see Allardyce’s decision, with the former Sunderland boss’ first game in charge of the Three Lions coming up soon.
England face Slovakia in a World Cup qualifier on September 4th, with the 61-year-old expected to name his first squad this Sunday.
Allardyce also indicated he may drop Marcus Rashford because the 18-year-old has been an unused substitute for Manchester United so far this season. “It makes it harder for me now to select him, despite how exciting he was last year and how he burst on the scene,” he said.