Rio de Janeiro, Feb 19: Ronaldinho has outlined plans to focus on music, his football academy and a new mystery project as he prepares for life after football.
The 37-year-old announced his retirement last month after a career that included a World Cup trophy, a UEFA Champions League title and two FIFA World Player of the Year awards, reported Xinhua news agency.
“Everybody knows that I have retired and I’d like to express my gratitude for everybody’s support and affection,” Ronaldinho said in a video posted on social media on Sunday.
“Now I’m starting a new stage in my life in which I will expand my Ronaldinho soccer academy around the world. I also plan to focus on my music, which is my great passion, and I’ll participate in another project which I’ll tell you about soon.”
Ronaldinho began his career with Brazil’s Gremio in 1998 before spells with Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona, AC Milan, Flamengo, Queretaro and Fluminense.
He was voted FIFA World Player of the Year in 2004 and 2005, and was a member of Brazil’s triumphant 2002 World Cup team.
Ronaldinho’s brother and agent, Roberto Assis, has said a series of tribute matches are being planned this year to allow fans around the world to bid farewell to the former playmaker.