The Bangladesh Cricket Board has assured top security for the visiting Australian team in a bid to persuade their counterparts Cricket Australia to fulfil the scheduled to tour of the Bangladesh in August-September later this year.
A few months ago, the BCB successfully convinced and hosted the England Cricket Team for a 3-match ODI series and 2-match test series. The series took place after huge security debate between the ECB and BCB. A couple of top names like Eoin Morgan and Alex Hales also decided to skip the tour citing fear.
Bangladesh, however, hosted the tour with full success and provided England with great security. The BCB has now put forward a similar proposal to convince Australia and make sure that the future tours and programs (FTP) commitment are materialised.
“What is usually reserved for a visiting head of state will be provided to them,” Nizamuddin Chowdhury, Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) chief executive, said on Tuesday (May 16).
The BCB chief made the statement in the presence of Sean Carroll, Cricket Australia’s (CA) head of security, who is in Dhaka to oversee security plans for the tour.
Australia last visited Bangladesh in 2006 under the leadership of Ricky Ponting. In 2015, they were scheduled to make a trip to the Asian country for a two-Test tour. Unfortunately, the CA cancelled the tour on security grounds after the host country faced a terrorist attack by Islamic militants. The aftermath of the attack was such that the CA also pulled out its Under-19 team from the 2016 World Cup which was successfully hosted by Bangladesh.
“We have guaranteed that the security, which was given to England cricket team last year, a similar arrangement will be made for the Australian team,” Chowdhury said. “If there is any additional requirement needed, we are ready to provide that.”
Bangladesh cricket suffered a huge setback to their efforts after the dreaded terrorist attack in Dhaka caused an international uproar after 22 people mostly foreigners were killed. It was following this attack, England, who were expected to tour around that time, became sceptic before being assured of top level arrangement for its players.
Having been brief about security preparations from the Bangladesh home minister as well as top security and police chiefs, Carroll seemed satisfied with the arrangements and hoped for a positive response from CA.
“We are looking forward to working with the Bangladesh authorities and BCB to making sure there is very successful tour going ahead in August,” Carroll told reporters.