The victory in the World T20 final for the West Indies this year was more than a sporting victory for the squad. It represented a victory for the players over the officials of the West Indies Cricket Board and victory over the conditions marring the board.
However, weeks after the emotional victory at the Eden Gardens, the West Indies cricket squad is now reprimanded for their comments after the victorious night.
The Caribbean squad were close to forfeiting from the tournament even before a ball was bowled but after lifting the trophy, Darren Sammy, the skipper of the team had some harsh words towards the WICB.
Sammy, just before accepting the trophy, dived into an emotional speech as he thanked his teammates and the supporters along with the heads of CARICOM who helped his team broker a last-minute deal to participate in the tournament,
However, he revealed that he, not his team did not get a single message from the WICB officials even after the triumph.
During the live telecast of the presentation ceremony on that day at Kolkata, Sammy opened up and went on to say, “”People were wondering whether we would play this tournament.”
“We had a lot of issues, we felt disrespected by our board … I’m yet to hear from [them]. That is very disappointing,” he added.
He was later joined by his teammates who were also equally frustrated with the situation of the sport in the country.
Star all-rounder Dwayne Bravo in an interview went on to tag the WICB as the ‘most unprofessional board’ in the world and used adjectives like “immature”, “small-minded” and “arrogant” to describe the president of the board Dave Cameroon.
However, in a meeting between the ICC officials in Delhi on Sunday, the West Indies players were criticized for their comments which were allegedly unsporting.
The country had a month to remember when they managed a treble of trophies including the Women’s World T20 and also the U-19 World Cup that was held in Bangladesh.
But the International Cricket Council board slashed away the West Indies cricket team and said that their comments were inappropriate and disrespectful.
The ICC also revealed that they will give serious consideration to levelling Code of Conduct charges against the players. This could mean hefty fines for the players or even bans from international cricket on a temporary basis.
A press release from the ICC read, “The board considered the behaviour of some of the West Indies players in the immediate aftermath of the final, and unanimously agreed that certain comments and actions were inappropriate, disrespectful and brought the event into disrepute.”
The press release also revealed that the ICC were disappointed with the steps taken by the West Indies players and lamented that it was a disappointing mark on an otherwise sizzling tournament.
“The board acknowledged an apology by the WICB but was disappointed to note that such behavior had detracted from the success of what was otherwise a magnificent tournament and final,” the ICC added.
Shashank Manohar, the ICC chairman was also not happy with the situation and said that the players may have crossed a line even in the aftermath of the conditions back at the Caribbean.
He said, “The sport of cricket is proud of its unique spirit and this involves being gracious in victory as well as defeat and respectful at all times to the game, one’s opponents, the sponsors and the fans.”
To round-off the meeting, the ICC was full of praise for India for the successful staging of the tournament and also thanked Bangladesh for the Asia Cup that was played earlier this year.
Do you think the West Indies players deserves to be banned for what they said about their Cricket Board?