Big News: Barcelona Star Finally Agrees New Five-Year Deal
Current Football News

Big News: Barcelona Star Finally Agrees New Five-Year Deal

Image Credits: Twitter

Barcelona’s number-one shotstopper Marc-Andre ter Stegen has reportedly agreed a new five-year deal to commit his future to the Nou Camp until the summer of 2022. Manchester City were said to be monitoring the situation but Sport claims that the keeper has decided to continue at the La Liga giants and the agreement will be official in the coming days.

Ter Stegen, 25, moved to the La Liga giants from Borussia Mönchengladbach in the summer of 2014 to fill the void left by the departure of current Middlesbrough keeper Victor Valdes.

However, his future at the Nou Camp came under big scrutiny during the last summer transfer window after he admitted his frustration over Luis Enrique’s rotation between him and Claudio Bravo during his first two seasons at the club – with the German international being number one for the Champions League and Copa del Rey, and the Chilean chosen for La Liga.

Pep Guardiola was then said to be interested in taking advantage of the situation to lure him to Manchester City as the Spanish boss wanted a keeper with ability to play the ball at his feet.

Yet, Barcelona convinced ter Stegen to stay by selling 34-year-old Bravo to Manchester City instead.

Ter Stegen has since been the number one in La Liga and the Champions League, with summer signing Jasper Cillessen playing only in the Copa del Rey.

However, the Daily Mail reported in March that City boss Guardiola was still interested in the Barcelona keeper after Bravo had failed to make the impact

expected during his first season in the Premier League.

The report added that City were ready to go back with a £30m ($38.6m) offer for the Barcelona number one in the coming summer transfer window, planning to fund part of the move with the sale of Joe Hart.

Ter Stegen said last month that he was happy at the Nou Camp but failed to diminish that speculation with an enigmatic response over his long-term plans.

“I am living in the moment. That is the most important thing. I am happy here, with my teammates and my friends,” the goalkeeper told Barcelona-based daily La Vanguardia. “I do not know [whether I will stay at Barcelona for many years]. I just try to give my all and do what’s best for me and for the team. I want to give my best and keep improving. You never know what happens in the future.”

But Sport claims on its front cover on Friday (12 May) that ter Stegen will continue at the Nou Camp for the long-term future after having agreed a new deal until 2022.

The Spanish publication doesn’t disclose the economic details of the deal but it is understood that he will get a substantial pay rise as part of the new deal.

Sport expects Barcelona to make the deal official in the coming days, although suggests that the club may wait until after the Copa del Rey final against Alaves on 27 May.

Neymar, Luis Suarez, Sergio Busquets, Javier Mascherano and Ivan Rakitic have also inked new deals at Barcelona in recent months and the club are also in negotiations with Lionel Messi and Andres Iniesta expected to follow the same footsteps in the near future.

 

Most Popular

Top