Two points behind Current leader Manchester City, third-placed van Gaal’s Manchester United had enough time to recover from their shocking loss to Arsenal ahead of their trip to Goodison Park to play Everton who are in seventh place, on Saturday.
Two weeks ago United were stunned by the 3-0 loss to Arsenal. Then came the much-needed break to regroup as Premier league took a break to make way for the international fixtures.
Host Everton are becoming hard to beat with losing just two of their 10 games in all competitions is in number seven position in the league table. Wayne Rooney’s former club have an improving head-to-head record against Manchester United. Roberto Martinez’s men managed to beat the Red Devils in three straight encounters at Goodison Park – without conceding a goal in those victories. The 3-0 scoreline of last season, most impressive in that dream run. But lack of consistency has been the major problem for them this season.
Here are some of the important stats from this match
- The Toffees were the last team to win four consecutive home league matches against United, between 1984 and 1987.
- Everton have won three successive home meetings in the league with Manchester United, most recently a 3-0 victory in April.
- Everton have lost just one of their eight league games this season (W3, D4).
- The Toffees are the only Premier League side yet to score from a set piece this season.
- United have registered four league victories this season when Bastian Schweinsteiger has not started but have won just one of four matches with him in the starting line-up (D1, L2).
- Ross Barkley has scored five goals in 14 appearances for Everton and England this season. Prior to this, he had scored five in 63 games.
- Gareth Barry could become only the second player to make 550 Premier League starts. Goalkeeper David James started 571 matches.
- They have lost four of their last eight away games in the league (W3, D1).
- Wayne Rooney has not scored an away league goal in 17 matches since last November. His last goal at Goodison Park came in April 2007.
- Manchester United’s two league defeats this season have come away from home.
- Wayne Rooney has not scored an away PL goal since last November (17 games without one) and has not scored at Goodison Park since April 2007 (six games).
- Roberto Martinez’s side have only won one of their last six at Goodison Park (D2 L3).
- Everton have won three consecutive home league games against Manchester United, keeping a clean sheet in each victory. They had won just three of their previous 20 at Goodison against the Red Devils in the Premier League before this.
- Anthony Martial has touched the ball in the opposition box more often than any other Premier League player this season (every 9.2 minutes, a minimum of 90 minutes played).
*Stats credit: Opta Stats