At the end of the day 2 of the 1st Test, India are on top. India started day 2 at the overnight score of 302/4 and carried on smoothly from there. After making 566/8, Indian captain made declaration of that innings.
In reply, hosts West Indies could not start very well as they were on 31/1 at the stumps of day 2.
Brief Scores: India – 566/8 decl. (Virat Kohli 200, Ravichandran Ashwin 113, Kraigg Brathwaite 3/65)
West Indies – 31/1 (Rajendra Chandrika 16, Kraigg Brathwaite 11*, Mohammed Shami 1/6)
Here are some statistical highlights are given below of the day 2 of 1st Test:
- Indian captain Virat Kohli started on day 2 at the overnight score 143* and completed a brilliant double-century before getting dismissed on 200 runs. With this brilliant knock, Kohli also completed his 12,000 international career runs. Kohli became 8th Indian cricketer and 51st overall cricketer to complete 12,000 runs in international career.
(For more stats on Virat Kohli’s double-century innings – Click Here)
- Apart from Virat Kohli’s double-century, Indian batsman Ravichandran Ashwin also hit a brilliant century. It was Ashwin’s maiden Test innings on the Caribbean soil and here he scored 113 runs before getting out. Ashwin became 4th Indian player to score a century in his maiden Test innings in West Indies. The other 3 Indian batsmen are Polly Umrigar 130 (1953), Brijesh Patel 115 (1976), Sanjay Manjrekar 108 (1989).
- Indian batsmen Virat Kohli and Ravichandran Ashwin put on a superb 168 runs partnership for the 5th wicket in this innings. It was India’s third highest 5th wicket partnership in a Test on the Caribbean soil. The first two highest 5th wicket Test partnerships for India in West Indies were: 204 runs by Sunil Gavaskar–Brijesh Patel (Port of Spain in 1976) and 179 runs by Rahul Dravid–Mohammad Kaif (Gros Islet in 2006).
- During the 1st innings of the match, India’s 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th wicket partnership put 50+ runs. This incident happened for the second time in Test history. First time this incident happened between Sri Lanka vs India at Colombo (SSC) in 2008, where Sri Lanka’s 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th wicket partnership put 50+ runs in the 1st innings of that match.
- India declared their 1st innings at 566/8. It was India’s second highest total in a Test innings in West Indies. India’s highest total in a Test innings in the Caribbean soil was 588/8 (decl.). It was India’s 4th 500+ total in the Caribbean soil.
- During the first innings of the match, India’s 4 batsmen (Shikhar Dhawan, Virat Kohli, Ravichandran Ashwin and Amit Mishra) scored 50+ runs out of which 1 batsman made double-century (Virat Kohli) and 1 completed his century (Ravichandran Ashwin). It was the second time that 4 Indian batsmen scored 50+ runs in a Test innings on the Caribbean soil, which is the highest no. of 50+ runs knock by Indian batsmen in a Test innings in West Indies. Previously it happened in 2002 at St. John’s.