India Vs South Africa 2019/20: Third Test (Day Two) – Statistical Highlights
The hosts India once again dominated against the visitors South Africa. On day two of the third and final Test of this series at Ranchi, India have gradually moved to the driving seat of this Test match.
Starting the day on their overnight score of 224/3, Indian batsmen stretched that innings to 497/9 before their declaration. At the stumps on day two, South Africa were struggling on 9/2. India are leading by 488 runs.
Brief Scores: India – 497/9 decl. (Rohit Sharma 212, Ajinkya Rahane 115; George Linde 4/133)
South Africa – 9/2 (Quinton de Kock 4, Faf du Plessis 1*; Mohammed Shami 1/0)
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the day:
i) India have hit a total of 47 sixes in this Test series.
- It is the most number of sixes for a team in a Test series. The previous record was 40 sixes by Australia in the Ashes 2013/14.
Rohit Sharma (India)
i) Indian opener Rohit Sharma scored 212 runs.
- It is the fourth highest knock by an Indian batsman against South Africa in a Test innings. The top three records in this list are 319 by Virender Sehwag, 254* by Virat Kohli and 219 by Mayank Agarwal. Apart from Sehwag’s triple century, all other double centuries happened in this Test series.
- Rohit Sharma is the fourth batsman who hit at least one double century in both Test and ODI formats. Sachin Tendulkar (India), Virender Sehwag (India) and Chris Gayle (West Indies) are the other three batsmen who have hit at least one double century in both Test and ODI formats.
ii) Playing his 51st Test innings, Rohit Sharma (51 Test sixes) completed his 50 Test sixes.
- It is the fastest among the Indian batsmen to complete 50 Test sixes. MS Dhoni was the previous record holder who completed 50 Test sixes in 78 Test innings.
iii) Rohit Sharma has scored 529 runs in this Test series.
- It is the third most runs for a batsman in a Test series against South Africa, comprising maximum three matches. The top two record holders are from Australia – Michael Clarke (576 runs) and David Warner (543 runs).
- It is the fourth most runs by an Indian batsman in a maximum three-match Test series. The top three records in this list are 610 runs by Virat Kohli (against Sri Lanka in India 2017), 544 runs by Virender Sehwag (against Pakistan in India 2005) and 534 runs by Sourav Ganguly (against Pakistan in India in 2007).
Ajinkya Rahane (India)
i) Indian Test vice-captain Ajinkya Rahane scored his eighth Test century at no.5 batting position.
- It is the joint-second most number of Test centuries at the no.5 batting position by an Indian batsman. Polly Umrigar also hit eight centuries at this batting position while Mohammad Azharuddin is leading this table with 16 Test centuries at the no.5 batting position.
Umesh Yadav (India)
i) Indian tailender Umesh Yadav scored 31 runs off just 10 balls with an economy rate of 310.00.
- Scoring more than 25 runs in a Test innings, it is the highest strike-rate for a batsman. The previous record was 281.81 (31 not out off only 11 balls) by Stephen Fleming (New Zealand) against South Africa at Auckland in March 2004.
Heinrich Klaasen (South Africa)
i) In his Test debut, South African wicketkeeper Heinrich Klaasen made four dismissals in the first innings of this Test match.
Read More: Watch: A Fan Invades The Field To Meet Proteas Cricketer Quinton De KockWatch: A Fan Invades The Field To Meet Proteas Cricketer Quinton De Kock
- Heinrich Klaasen became the second South African wicketkeeper to manage more than three dismissals in an innings of the debutant Test match. David Richardson also made four dismissals (against West Indies at Bridgetown in April 1992) in an innings of his debutant Test match.
George Linde (South Africa)
i) In his debutant Test, South African left-arm spinner George Linde had the bowling figures of 31-2-133-4 during the first innings.
- It is the second most expensive bowling performance by a South African spinner in an innings of his debutant Test. The record is 51-15-143-4 by Ian Smith against England at Nottingham in June 1947.
We Will Retain MS Dhoni, He Will Play For CSK In IPL 2021: N Srinivasan
MS Dhoni may have lost his central contract and isn’t in the scheme of things to make a comeback now but looks like he will be playing IPL 2021 for Chennai Super Kings. N Srinivasan, the owner of the franchise, today announced that Dhoni will…
WWE Has Big Plans Over The United States Championship On Raw
2019 ended in a big way for Andrade as he won the first singles championship of his career on the main roster. It was during the Madison Square Garden live event on December 26th that he defeated Rey Mysterio to win the United States Title….